Leeds City War Memorial

Leeds City War Memorial

Damo
The Leeds City War memorial was originally erected in City Square, Leeds takeing the form of a four stepped base surmounted by plinth and obelisk on which the whole is surmounted by a bronze winged figure of peace. On the 3 and 9 o'clock faces of the side of the obelisk is a bronze figure of St George standing on the slain dragon and a bronze figure of peace. There are four owls symbolising Leeds on the four corners of the base of the obelisk and a wreath on the 6 o'clock face of the base, colours hang on the 6 and 12 o'clock faces of the obelisk. In 1937 a new traffic scheme enforced a move of the memorial to Victoria Ghardens outside the muncipal builds, Headrow, Leeds. In 1940 the Winged Victory was taken down for repair and was put back in 1946. In 1965 the Victory figure was taken down when it moved in a gale. And was re-erected in Cottingly Crematorium, the head is now in the museum. In 1991 an Angel of Peace was erected to replace figure. The original memorial was unveiled on 14th October 1922 by Viscount Lascelles and dedicated by the Bishop of Ripon; it cost £6,000, by public subscription, the architect was Sir Reginald Blomfield and the sculptor was H C Fehr (the original figure came from Milan). The memorial was rededicated again on 10th November 1991. Details of the original memorial can be found in the Yorkshire Post 27th Janaury 1921 and, for the addition of the World War 2 names, the Leeds Telegraoh and Argus 20th february 1941. (Source: Roll of Honour.com) #Britain #Damo #England #Europe #Great #Kingdom #Leeds #UK #United #West #Yorkshire
Default Title