St. George's Church, Cam

St. George's Church, Cam

John
Grade 1 Listed Building. Upper Cam Anglican parish church. Rebuilt circa 1340 by Thomas Lord Berkeley, by tradition 'in expiation of King Edward II's murder at nearby Berkeley Castle'. Only fragments of that building work remain. West tower in 'Perp' style of four stages with diagonal buttresses carrying attached pnnacles. Panelled battlements with pinnacles. All the pinnacles have stone ballflower ornament. Predominantly Cotswold limestone walls at front but clerestory wall in marlstone. Lean-to north aisle at rear with walling in worn marlstone and no parapet. Blocked north door to north aisle (the north door was considered 'The Devil's door' in churches in the 18th C). The incumbent Rev George Madan supervised a thorough restoration of the church beginning in 1842. The chancel with its steep roof and unpierced parapet was rebuilt in 1845 together with the decorative projecting vestry. The clerestory and nave roof were added in 1847. The south aisle and south porch were completed in 1848. The porch, clerestory and vestry have similar, very decorative, pierced balustrade parapets. #building #Cam #church
Default Title