Union Station

Union Station

City of Worcester EDD
Union Station, located at 2 Washington Square in Worcester, Massachusetts, is known as the “Beautiful Portal to the Heart of the Commonwealth”. In 1911, the $750,000 station was completed, designed by architect Watson & Huckel in a Beaux Arts style. It serviced 140 trains and well over 10,000 passengers daily. Twin towers, each 175 feet high, anchored the building on both sides of the grand entrance. In 1926, the vibrations from the increasing rail traffic caused the towers to crumble and they were dismantled. The last trolley passed by the station in 1945, the Massachusetts Turnpike caused a decrease in train travel through the 1960s, and the station closed in 1972. The Worcester Redevelopment Authority acquired the building in 1997, commencing a $32 million restoration project, re-opening its doors to the people of Worcester in July 2000. Complete with the Grand Hall's original elliptical stained-glass ceilings, interior marble columns and mahogany wood trim, Union Station is currently served by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, Amtrak, Greyhound, Peter Pan, and the Worcester Regional Transit Authority. Current tenants in the in the station include: Vanasse Hangen Brustlin (VHB), an architectural and engineering firm; the Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission; Maxwell Silverman’s Banquet and Conference Center; and Fusion Entertainment’s Byblos Lounge. Union Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. #Beaux_Arts #CMRPC #historic #Massachusetts #Maxwell_Silverman #National_Register #station #train #Union_Station #Vanasse_Hangen_Brustlin #Watson__Huckel #Worcester
Default Title