School House

School House

John B.
Description
This school house was originally from the town of St. Paul, MO which is outside the town of O’Fallon, MO. We do not know when the building was built. However, we do know that the land was donated to the community for a school in 1837. We can predict then that the school was built shortly after this donation. The school was officially called West Liberty School, but it was more commonly known as Mount Hope. It was not a public school for schools were not classified as public or private in those days. It is more accurate that they be called community schools since the community was responsible for the construction, maintenance, curriculum, and the boarding and payment of a teacher. This building is a log building. Its mortar was made from earth, lime, and straw. Originally the fireplace along the back of the wall was used to keep the building heated. Later, a potbellied stove was installed which has since been removed. #community_school #mount_hope #one_room_school_house #school_house #west_liberty_school
Default Title