President's House

President's House

Model Your Campus
The President's House stands west of the Sigma Nu House at 14 Webster Avenue numbered 12 on a 1928 map. According to Widmayer the building has the official address of #1 Tuck Drive. Edward Tuck 1862 donated the funds for the house which Peabody Wilson and Brown designed. The building cost $133 000. Two alternate locations for the house suggested themselves to planners: the Dewey Farm where the Old Medical School is today then unsuitable because the Sisters Dewey were not fond of the College; and Observatory Hill which had too much traffic and too little privacy. The College soon regretted the siting on Webster Avenue. The College added a garage by 1931 and remodeled the house in 1982 (Facilities). Presidents Hopkins Dickey Kemeny McLaughlin Freedman and Wright have lived in the house. (Source: Scott Meacham "Notes toward a Catalog of the Buildings and Landscapes of Dartmouth College " Dartmo.: The Buildings of Dartmouth College (updated 2001) at http://www.dartmo.com/buildings) Modeled by Jennifer Huang
Default Title