Western Maryland Railway Hagerstown Depot, Hagerstown MD

Western Maryland Railway Hagerstown Depot, Hagerstown MD

J. Wallace
The Western Maryland (WM) depot at Hagerstown replaced an earlier structure when it was built in 1913. It was the near-twin of the Cumberland, MD, depot, built at around the same time. The Hagerstown depot served until the late 1950s, when the WM suspended passenger service. The train tracks running past the station were soon relocated, rendering the building effectively useless, and as a result, it was converted to offices. After the merger with the Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) and Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroads to form the Chessie System in the early 1980s, the station was left vacant and was sold to the City of Hagerstown. After extensive renovations which included the removal of much of the canopy system, the building became the headquarters of the Hagerstown Police Department. It serves in this capacity today, looking almost exactly as it did in 1913. This model is scrupulously accurate, being modeled after measured drawings from the Estate of John L. Carnochan, Sr. collection. #agent #baltimore #bell #brick #burhans #cass #choo_choo #chuff #civil #cop #cumberland #depot #diesel #edwardian #electric #elkins #enforcement #freight #gettysburg #hagerstown #horn #law #locomotive #maryland #passenger #pennsylvania #police #prewar #rail #railroad #railway #semaphore #signal #station #steam #stop #terminal #thurmont #track #train #west #west_virginia #western #whistle #yellow
Default Title