Old and New Cabell Halls, University of Virginia

Old and New Cabell Halls, University of Virginia

ajggiant
Situated on-axis with the Lawn, opposite the Rotunda, Old Cabell Hall (c. 1898) is the centerpiece of the architectural ensemble constructed to replace academic spaces destroyed in the Rotunda fire of 1895. This group, which also included Cocke Hall and Rouss Hall, was the work of Stanford White, arguably America’s leading architect at the time. New Cabell Hall (c. 1952) was the centerpiece of President Darden’s effort to refocus University life on the Lawn. It was to serve that end by providing additional classrooms and offices adjacent to the Lawn without encroaching on that hallowed precinct. To diminish the apparent height of the new building, Eggers and Higgins set it into the hill behind Cabell Hall, concealing virtually all of the new construction from the Lawn. The building, with its pavilions, its concentric, receding arches and its circular-headed pavilion windows exemplifies the style of Eggers and Higgins, the successor firm to John Russell Pope, and still committed to classical architecture at a time when other schools and most of the profession were moving away from traditional design. #McKim_Mead_White #University_of_Virginia
Default Title