Court Suzanne Lenglen GE

Court Suzanne Lenglen GE

Peter B.
Description
Originally designated "Court A", Court Suzanne Lenglen, the secondary stadium with a capacity of 10,068 spectators, was built in 1994. Its namesake, an international celebrity and the first true star of women's tennis, won 31 major tournaments, including six French Open titles and six Wimbledon championships, between 1914 and 1926. Known as La Divine ("Divine One") and La Grand Dame ("Great Lady") of French tennis, she also won two Olympic gold medals in Antwerp in 1920. A bronze bas relief of Lenglen by the Italian sculptor Vito Tongiani stands over the east tunnel-entrance to the stadium. The trophy awarded each year to the French Open women's singles champion is named La Coupe Suzanne Lenglen in her honor. The court has an underground irrigation system, the first of its kind, to control moisture levels within its surface. In 1994 the walkway between Court Chatrier and Court Lenglen was named Allée Marcel Bernard, in honor of the 1940s-era French champion who died that year. #clay #court #Court_Suzanne_Lenglen #france #français #french #french_open #google_earth #Nadal #Paris #PSG #roland_garros #sport #stade #stadion #stadium #Suzanne_Lenglen #tennis #wimbledon
Default Title