The building was originally built in New Melle, MO located 5 miles up Hwy F from here. It was originally built in the mid-1800’s and was used as a general store and a dance hall.
In 1904, the building was remodeled by a New Melle carpenter named Ernest Sudbrock and was transformed into a church. It opened its doors in 1905 as the Deutsche Evangelische Friedens Fermeinde. The floors and pews are made of long-leaf red pine, a wood that is considered endangered today. The center floorboard runs the entire length of the building, which is near 30 feet long. The ceiling is painted a bright blue in contrast to the pristine white walls. The window glass looks wavy and this is because it is cylinder glass.
The tower clock was built in 1865 in St. Louis, MO. It is still in working condition. The clock mechanism actually operates three separate clock dials. The clock is also designed to be connected to the bell in the bell tower causing it to ring on the hour and at quarter-hour intervals. In the choir loft is the pipe organ.
The building was dismantled in stages and brought to this location on a flatbed truck. It took almost 10 years to rebuild and transform the chapel into what you see today. #bell_tower #chapel #church #tower_clock