Formerly referred to as the "St. John's Lodge" then "Moira Lodge", and now the "Madoc Lodge", the first Masonic Lodge in Madoc was founded by dispensation on April 24, 1854 by the Grand Lodge in London, ON (#42) as Lodge #48.
The first meeting was held in Madoc (then known as the village of "Hastings" and prior to that, it was called "Deer Creek" when first settled) on June 10, 1854.
It was "resolved that this Lodge meet on Wednesday of each month at the hour of firve o'clock in the afternoon preceding the full moon".
The Lodge met in a room agreed upon at the house of O. Johnson.
In part, the Meeting Minutes recorded that "Three candle sticks bought at $1.35 and one pound of candles at 4 cents."
"Members present paid dues 13 cents per month."
There was even a period during which IOU's were accepted in lieu of cash fees.
Regular Meetings were held in different locations each month, at the homes of Brethren.
During 1860, Madoc Lodge rented a room in Bro. Reid's block, located opposite the Methodist Church at $24.00 for three years.
Meetings continued to be held in different established locations for over 100 years before the current location was built (approx. or since 1990).
Provided Historical Information from the book "Way Back When", pages 125 - 129
See Online or download PDF at the Link included below.
List of Masonic Lodges in Canada by Numeric Order.
http://www.grandlodge.on.ca/CraftLodges/1number.htm #1800s #Blackmen #history #Lodge #Madoc #Masonic #Masons #Oddfellows #Ontario #Orangemen #Order