Bancroft Commons was built originally as a luxury hotel in 1912 by renowned Architects Esenwein & Johnson of Buffalo NY. It is constructed in a distinctive Beaux Arts style with a brick façade framed by ornate carvings. It sits on the corners of Franklin and Portland Streets. The building’s impressive architecture and storied past as an historic hotel and centerpiece of Worcester’s social scene for decades, placed the building on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Currently the building is a mix-residential/commercial building owned and operated by the Mayo Group of Boston. There are 700 to 40,000 sq. ft. office spaces, off-street parking, and a fitness center. The building also includes 265 residential units, ranging from studio, one, two and three bedroom renovated and new construction apartments.