Located on the west side of South Main Street, the present day Junction Barber Shop is in very good condition. It was constructed sometime between 1906 and 1913. The projected storefront, however, was added separately in 1938 to create more space for the fruit store. Charles Carlo and Mike Saia, recent immigrants to White River Junction from Italy, opened the Carlo Fruit Store in 1913. Carlo and Saia operated the store along with Saia’s brother Fred, and members of these families also lived above the store—the second floor still is home to several tenants. The Little Fruit Store bought the building in 1956 from Michael Saia. The Little Fruit Store housed the building until around 1969. In 1976, Lucien Guay operated a Barber Shop on the first floor. Mr. Guay is a legend in town that received a lot of customers for his non-costly haircut. Beverly Ricker owned the Beauty Lounge for around twenty years in the old Fruit Store but sold it to the owner who now currently operates the Junction Barber Shop.
For more information, go to www.creatinghartfordvt.com #barber #junction #river #shop #vermont #vt #white #wrj