The Standard Building, (originally the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers Cooperative National Bank Building and later the Standard Bank Building), is a high-rise office tower located at the southwest corner of Ontario Street and St. Clair Avenue in downtown Cleveland, Ohio. Rising to a height of 282 feet (86 meters), the south face, which can be seen from Public Square, is unadorned and windowless. It was designed by Knox and Elliot architects, and was built for $7 million. It is owned by the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen. During the Great Depression, the bank ran into financial difficulties and was sold by the BLE. It merged with two other Cleveland banks in 1930, forming Standard Trust Bank. This bank subsequently failed in 1931 and its assets were liquidated. From World War II through the 1960s, the bank lobby served as an indoctrination center for draftees. In the 1940s the building housed Cleveland College, a downtown campus of Western Reserve University, and was the last building of that campus.
To the east, across Ontario Street, is the Marriott at Key Center, built on the site of the landmark Engineers Building, which the BLE sold in 1988 for development, moving into the Standard Building. To the north, across St. Clair Avenue, is the Cuyahoga County Justice Center. The Old Stone Church abuts its south side. Currently it is the 21st highest building in Cleveland. #Avenue #Building #Cleveland #Ohio #Ontario #Saint #St_Clair #Standard #The