The Alte Kommandantur on Unter den Linden is the former headquarter of the city's commandant. It was built in 1654 by architect Johann Gregor Memhard, and renovated from 1873 to 1874 in Renaissance Revival style. Damaged during the Allied bombing in World War II and later demolished in order to make room for the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of East Germany, which was itself demolished in 1995. It was rebuilt from 2001 to 2003 as part of the Forum Fridericianum. Since then, it has been home to a representative office of Bertelsmann. The Alte Kommandantur was rebuilt by media conglomerate Bertelsmann to become its joint Berlin liaison office with the prestigious address Unter den Linden 1. Since no plan was available, the building was designed based on historic pre-war photographs and testimonies. The building was completed in November 2003.