"The first settlers arrived in the spring of 1883. These settlers were willing to neglect their own home building long enough to build a community meetinghouse. A log building, thrity by sixty feet, built at a cost of $850, was erected on this site. A high board fence surrounded the building with roofed stalls along one side to accommodate travelers’ horses. The first meeting was held October 17, 1883.
Education was soon underway with school starting in late December, 1883. Thomas E. Bassett and Sarah Ann Barnes were the first teachers in the ungraded school. They were paid in produce. Settlers had brought readers and educational materials with them which they donated to the school. Children often stayed home when the weather was good to help their parents with the work.
At a stake conference held April 26, 1884, the meetinghouse was dedicated; and the Rexburg First Ward was organized with Thomas E. Ricks Jr. appointed bishop.
Classes were held in the First Ward Building during the first years of the Bannock Stake Academy which later became Ricks College."
No. 454; 1980; Sunbonnet Camp
Text from marker in front of building
This building is now owned by the City of Rexburg, and is used as a shop and storage facility. #BYUIdaho #Historic_Building #LDS_Church #meetinghouse #Rexburg #Ricks_College #School