The Dr. H. Bavinckschool (1921-22; extension 1929-30) is an exquisite example of W.M. Dudok’s (1884-1974) sophisticated space planning and detailing. The layering of planes and intersecting masses were designed to focus on the main entry and then culminate in the landmark chimney to create a readable identity for the school within the dense urban fabric.
The original floor plan had a ‘Z’ shape running front to back on the site. The single story leg at the front contains administration and resource facilities, while the back leg was formed by the gymnasium. The two floor central wing contained 8 classrooms organized along single loaded corridors so that their full height windows all face south and overlook the playground. These innovative corridors are extra wide to provide informal, multi-use activity spaces for each classroom.
An extension in1930 added an angled classroom wing at the rear. The gymnasium was also renovated to add change rooms and to replace the traditional Dutch gambrel roof with a flat roof. Today the school has a total of 11 classrooms, the gymnasium and a media library.
The school is named after Dr. Herman Bavinck (1854-1921) who was a brilliant scholar, a leading Reformed theologian, and a master in the field of pedagogy.
The model was based on the architect’s plans reproduced in the CD-rom “Dudok: Werken in Hilversum” published by the regional Archives and the gemeente Hilversum (2004)
#Dudok #Hilversum #Modern_Dutch_Architecture #schools #Willem_Marinus_Dudok