E.V. Haughwout Building

E.V. Haughwout Building

cnb30
Designed By John P Gaynor and completed in 1857, the EV Haughwout building was one of the first Italianate cast iron structures in the famous cast iron district of Soho, and served as a factory for the EVHaughwout Emporium, which made,sold, and imported Glass, silverware, and Porcelain and Was shipped from floor to floor in one of the first freight elavators of all time. The Structure (like many others on soho) would have been foolishly demolished by robert moses for the cross manhattan expressway, which thankfully was not built. The Structure was designated as a New York landmark in 1965, and was listed on the national register of historic places in 1973. In 1995, the structure was repainted to its original turkish blue from a dark brown. #building #Cast_iron #city #EV_Haughwout #Factory #Italianate #New_York #soho
Default Title