This station was constructed for the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1918 and is the third station to be built at this location. The two previous stations were built in 1871 and 1889. The 1871 depot burned down in 1885. The Queen Anne-style 1889 depot burned down on March 5, 1917.
The current Beaux-Arts-style structure was constructed of masonry and is one of five masonry depots that still exist along the original Southern Pacific West Coast line. The other depots are in Albany, Medford, Roseburg and Eugene.
A restoration project by the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) was completed in 2000. Amtrak leases the station from ODOT for $1 a year, in exchange for maintenance of the building and grounds. The restoration also won awards for ODOT Region 2
An 1889 Railway Express Agency (REA) freight depot/baggage shed survived the fire that destroyed the previous station and is the oldest freight depot still in existence in the state. After the 1917 fire, the Queen Anne-style REA depot was relocated from its original site to south of the passenger station.The REA depot has not been used since the mid-1970s, and now awaits restoration. The station and baggage depot were added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 12, 2010.
This model fixes (hopefully) the problem of too much geometry. #Amtrak #historic_property #railroad_station #Salem